What's new
Free Chat Forum / Message Board

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please consider using your 321Chat chat room username, especially to gain VIP here.

Important! You will need to validate your email address to register and recover your password if you've forgotten it. Staff cannot assit with password recovery in any way. Please allow a short time for your email to arrive if it doesn't arrive immediately. Check spam folder.

Dostoevsky vs. Tolstoy, who is the greater prophet?

doodoo

VIP Member
I have read "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy, and I have read "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Both are Russian novels written the 19th century and both deal with Russia's plight of humanity. But they are vastly different novels. "War and Peace" focuses on humanity, whereas, "Crime and Punishment" focuses on law, psychology, and philosophy. "Crime and Punishment" is a much deeper novel, because it focuses on the unraveling of one individual, whereas "War and Peace" is a vast scape spanning Russian aristocracy in relation to a crumbling and deteriorating military upper Russian class.

The thing I really like about "War and Peace" is that it pulls no punches when delivering Tolstoy's pure, unrelenting humanism. You really get the feeling that Tolstoy cared for humanity, that he really wanted to do good. Dostoevsky, on the other hand, was a dark and terrifying force. I don't necessarily think that one is more valuable than the other, however, for both are great in their own ways.

But if I were to speak in terms of prophecy, I would say that Dostoevsky had more to offer the world. His creativity regarding how dark and sinister humanity really is kind of makes you feel humble. Learning to decipher why someone would actually commit crime is a valuable lesson in how not to. In that sense, I enjoyed Dostoevsky's courage and sincerity in delivering his point.

I would recommend first Tolstoy for anyone who is thinking of getting into Russian literature. "War and Peace" is a work of historical fiction and is easier to get into. If you love characters and plot, Tolstoy is definitely for you. In that sense, he is unmatched. I fell in love with Natasha, the young aristocratic princess, and I felt for Andrew Bolkonsky who was courageous and who loved her with a deep passion. There is so much going on in "War and Peace", that it is definitely impossible to describe it here. There are long and drawn-out battle scenes, with complicated depictions of military tactics, complete with descriptions of formations and such. Those parts you can skip. Tolstoy just threw them in there because he had an interest in how Russia was able to throw back Napoleon at the battle of Waterloo, and how Russia outmaneuvered him here and there.

But if romantic descriptions of Russia during a very aristocratic and romantic time appeal to you, then pick up "War and Peace". You won't find a greater novel anywhere. It is long, yes, but the time you spend reading it is worth it because you can say you read the greatest novel of all time. And also, it will fill a space inside you that you didn't know was there, that cannot be filled by the shit that is cranked out and mass-produced nowadays.

Last edited:
I have read "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy, and I have read "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Both are Russian novels written the 19th century and both deal with Russia's plight of humanity. But they are vastly different novels.

Most of my favourite novels were written by Russians.
I absolutely loved Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov". I should challenge myself to read Tolstoy's "War and Peace".

I do recommend Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's "The Gulag Archipelago". It's about the author's life in Soviet camps. It's an eye-opener, to say the least.
There are 3 volumes. Thanks.
✌️

TheGulagArchipelago.jpg
Napoleon Dynamite Dancing GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

If one says prophetic, then I would go for Dostoyevsky. His exploration of the dark aspects of human nature are something which were quite relevant to the 20th century, and although I do not agree with Dostoyevsky's political conservatism, the radical, nihilistic and destructive ideology which he warns against in his book 'Demons' bears an eerie similarity to Bolshevism and to totalitarian movements, in general, such as fascism.
But overall, it'd be hard for me to choose who was more profound of the two, both of them explored their areas of interest in a thought-provoking, engaging manner. Tolstoy dealt with society moreso as a collective, and considered humans in their social relations, while Dostoyevsky focused more on individuals.
And they both did so excellently, it is hard to say who was more profound in that regard.

If one says prophetic, then I would go for Dostoyevsky. His exploration of the dark aspects of human nature are something which were quite relevant to the 20th century, and although I do not agree with Dostoyevsky's political conservatism, the radical, nihilistic and destructive ideology which he warns against in his book 'Demons' bears an eerie similarity to Bolshevism and to totalitarian movements, in general, such as fascism.
But overall, it'd be hard for me to choose who was more profound of the two, both of them explored their areas of interest in a thought-provoking, engaging manner. Tolstoy dealt with society moreso as a collective, and considered humans in their social relations, while Dostoyevsky focused more on individuals.
And they both did so excellently, it is hard to say who was more profound in that regard.
GIRL ITS ABSOLUTELY DOS. OK

Dostoevsky is my personal choice as well.

His profound works, such as The Brothers Karamazov and The Idiot, explore the motivations of eccentrics and expose their attitudes and dispositions.

His writings center on the psychological upheavals and strains that his characters experience.

Which implies that the events occur in their heads rather than in reality.